Friday, July 13, 2012

Bright Lights, Big Ideas!


(Dr. Lori Major Carlin is the Theatre Arts teacher at Northwood High School. She has been teaching in Chatham County for 15 years. With the assistance of professional development grants from the Chatham Education Foundation and the Northwood Arts Education Foundation, Lori is attending the Broadway Teacher’s Workshop in NYC.)

Happy Friday the 13th! Other than seeing a man covered in rats – things have been calm here in the big city. I should note that he wasn’t covered in rats on accident or via misfortune (well, that is debatable).

Thoroughly enjoyed War Horse last night though I AM glad that we skipped it when I took students to London & Paris last year. It is coming to DPAC and I highly recommend seeing it there. (For the record, we saw 39 Steps in London instead & it was absolutely hilarious!). I did fall madly in love with the lead as per usual, only this time the lead was a horse. Beautiful, beautiful horse!

The workshops today were more technical in nature and I was struck by how very many, many, many jobs there are in the arts. I heard from obvious positions like playwrights and costume designers (the 2012 Tony Award winning costume designer that is!), but ALSO heard from some computer/musician nerds who are making a very nice living providing software to fill in orchestral holes in a production, stage craft designers who specialize in found/up-cycled materials, and a projection designer who was so low-key and funny that you’d never know he is in demand all over the world.

I have to say that the Projection Design for Everyone seminar with Zachary Borovay was my favorite of the day. We are very fortunate to have district oversight that not only encourages use, but actually makes technology available to teachers and students. As a director who has struggled with set design (as my esteemed colleague and the most talented artist I know, Leslie Burwell, will tell you) my entire career – I was delighted to see that there are new ways that I can tell stories without needing to build/borrow/staple & duct tape a set together. I am really enthusiastic about the prospect of using projection for some of our sets this year. We can still use student art – only now we can include film, photography, and so forth. Good things!

Costume & Set Design with some of the crew from Peter and the Starcatcher was really interesting. They have achieved so much success from a show that began with virtually no budget. In fact, they created an entire proscenium, costumes, and props using their brains before their wallets. It was a refreshing session when confronted by the grandeur and excess of traditional Broadway shows.

The Playwriting workshop was a lot of the very same information that I use with my Acting I class. In fact, I spoke (shock and awe) and told them about how my students write scenes, we read & vote on the best, and then they produce them. Everyone loved the idea and many plan to take it back to their programs. It was also nice to hear from a playwright who struggled with many of the same issues I encountered when writing Mirrors last year. Who knows, with some (major) adjustments, I may try to get it published one day.

Finally, there was a presentation from MTI – the ginormous licensing company that all theatre teachers work with at some point. They answered questions and tried valiantly to justify the costs associated with their materials. ;)

Tonight we get to see Peter and the Starcatcher. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am for this production!  I’ve finished up with workshops early enough that I am going to take myself out for a nice dinner. See you tomorrow!