Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Headed to Broadway!

(Dr. Lori Major Carlin is the Theatre Arts teacher at Northwood High School. She has been teaching in Chatham County for 15 years. With the assistance of professional development grants from the Chatham Education Foundation and the Northwood Arts Education Foundation, Lori is attending the Broadway Teacher’s Workshop in NYC.)

This is really a dream come true! Stories go that I was performing before I understood the concept of applause (see: Littlest Angel in, yep, The Littlest Angel). For as long as I can remember, I’ve loved being on stage and at one time thought I’d make a career of it. Oh, wait, I have – I teach! Once I learned that my TRUE calling is to be an educator, it became my joyful responsibility to engender a love of performing (or building, or rigging, or amplifying) in my students. I never expected that I would, one day, have the opportunity to STUDY ON BROADWAY! For the next several days, I will be sleeping a block away from Times Square, studying with artists and master teachers (on the Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark stage!), seeing recent Tony Award winning shows, eating bagels, networking with other theatre teachers, watching tech calls, LEARNING, and generally geeking out entirely. Let’s stroll down the Great White Way (Broadway) together!