Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hello NYC!


(Dr. Lori Major Carlin is the Theatre Arts teacher at Northwood High School. She has been teaching in Chatham County for 15 years. With the assistance of professional development grants from the Chatham Education Foundation and the Northwood Arts Education Foundation, Lori is attending the Broadway Teacher’s Workshop in NYC.)


I arrived in NYC! Drove in, along with an average of 60,000 other cars (thanks for the trivia, Mom), early this afternoon and checked into my hotel. Today was my “navigation” day. Put me almost anywhere in London and I can find my way around. New York, well, I think all the crowds interfere with my sense of direction. Anyway, I was able to make my way to SoHo to my favorite paper store (you ARE reading a Teacher Blog – school supplies make me happy) and I had a lovely lunch in Little Italy. Raced back up to Rockefeller Center to do some shopping & visit St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Then, I found the location for the Broadway Teacher’s Workshop tomorrow and proceeded back to the hotel (I have blisters on my blisters, time for flats).

The workshop begins tomorrow morning with a time for getting to know the other theatre teachers from across the nation who will be coming together for this amazing experience. Many of the teachers have been to the workshop before & have tremendously positive things to say about it. I’ve notice that there will be teachers from San Francisco, New Orleans, and at least one from out of the country. Once we get to know one another (a prospect that terrifies me – I am not your normal theatre teacher – I am shy to the point of hermitage), we will discuss our goals for the workshop and develop some plans for taking home what we learn. Many of the teachers have already posted lesson plans & theatre exercises & evaluations to the web site for the workshop. I am looking forward to adapting those within my own classroom and making them work with our new Essential Standards. We have several choices for electives & I will report on those at the end of each day.

Time to change my shoes & go see about some cheesecake……I mean dinner. See you tomorrow!